Colorectal Cancer Market in the United States
According to the American Cancer Society:
- A total of 104,610 cases of colon cancer and 43,340 cases of rectal cancer will be diagnosed in 20201
- Colorectal cancer is the third most common type of cancer (excluding skin cancers) diagnosed in both men and women1
- Colorectal cancer is the second most common cause of cancer deaths when men and women are combined1
According to the SEER (Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results) database, the 5-year relative survival rates for distant SEER stage is only 14% for colon cancer and 15% for rectal cancer2
53,200 US deaths
Expected deaths from colorectal cancer in 2020 in the United States1
881,663 Global deaths
Expected deaths from colorectal cancer in 2018 worldwide3
According to Sargent’s report from 2009, average recurrence period for colorectal cancer patient after resection is 12–24 months4
After resection, 70% of the patients experience colorectal cancer recurrence within 2 years and 90% of the patients within 3–5 years4
- American Cancer Society. Key Statistics for Colorectal Cancer. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/about/key-statistics.html. Accessed July 27, 2020.
- American Cancer Society. Survival Rates for Colorectal Cancer. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.html. Accessed July 27, 2020.
- Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin. 2018;68(6):394-424. doi:10.3322/caac.21492.
- [Sargent report from 2009].